90 West

Your CDs don't work,
as I drive West.
But the podcasts keep me company,
as I peer out on the Minnesota land.

The Mississippi River shines below,
and South Dakota says hello.
Great places, great faces -
into an unknown abyss.

Shiny purple rocks in Lake Superior,
linger in my mind.
The land of 10,000 lakes behind,
I used my compass to guide me home.

Your CDs don't work,
but I can find more to consume.
Sylvan Esso and the Shins, too.
Mostly This American Life.

Badlands and the Black Hills,
a juxtaposed South Dakota scape.
Blissed with cloud coverage,
and sunsets on lakes.

Coffee shops look all the same,
all the different. Caffeine.
Spearfish, where am I?
Smiles fill the room, chatter.

Your CDs don't work,
and you push me away,
and we argue and embrace.
colors of my face.

I continue West to the mountains,
where I can get lost in the trees.
alone, it feels good.
so just let me be.



Comments

  1. Hélène from the bonfire ;)August 23, 2015 at 9:35 AM

    I was checking the Belgrade hastag on insta, saw your photo of the farm and ended up here. Funny how things work.
    I love that text! It's a good traveling relfexion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helene - wonderful to hear from you! It was great to meet you at the farm. Wishing you well as you continue your work there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bay

Unconventional Schedules

A Little Closer to the Edge