2080

We cried a lot. 
I cried a lot.

so I wrote a poem.

--

I'm sitting in a park
through one sun salutation 
the breath of the sky turns gray
and mother Earth sighs.

The year is 2080 -
and I don't recognize you. 
The bright oranges have dropped
from the branches, decaying into the land.

I firmly press my toes on the ground
beneath my toes are rooted roots
I sway, swaying slower while
the green turns to brown turns to green.

I invert, or the world is inverted? 
sweet smooth faces shrivel, 
and I touch the warm cheeks
of a baby close to my heart. 

I crossword, the fraying fingertips
of my reality hold words.
inhale, exhale.
the vast blueness gleams with sunshine.

The three bridges remain
tucked behind the achy Oak tree.
we share the quality of old growth
as its branches start to sag.

People move faster,
yet I find solace cuddled into the hills
with the frequent company over tea
but rest escapes me and I tire quickly. 

The beauty of a garden
tossed into a salad presents delight
however, the tastes taste different
flavors have faded - simple pleasures.

I decide to put on my walking shoes
we still hold hands when we venture
to the park, and I loosen my boots
to welcome the cool dirt on my feet.

Days come and go,
but I remember to open the
kitchen window to allow the smells,
all the smells, to drift into my life.

I recount all the babies caught
and all the parks I've sat in
while I close my eyes and
wonder about the passing of time.

I'm reading the last chapter,
I'm anxious to finish but postponing - 
placing the bookmark near the end
I lay my head for a nap. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bay

Unconventional Schedules

A Little Closer to the Edge