Yo Philly, how's it hanging?

This is fun. Although suffocating on city air has its challenges,  I am overall content. I am living in a new city, across the country, away from my sweet, little nook of a town - Danville, CA. Let's not get into the politics or my feelings about Danville right now. All that matters (in regards to Danville) is that it holds some ravishing yet spunky individuals (my family, mostly) and contains a truly beautiful landscape (Hello Mt. Diablo, may you remain the mighty and triumphant mountain of 3,848' that you are...no need to mention Whitney or Shasta who triple your peak). With my undergraduate world barely a chapter in the past, Santa Cruz, CA is more of a jem in my heart. Those glorious Sequoia Sempervirens, jam sessions, and Pacific waves. More on that later.


I moved to Philadelphia, PA on September 2nd, 2013.
--
Philly,
oh crisp winter air
your colored walls, zestful mural land
surround the streets, of trash and must.
Quaker land, William Penn contests
wanderers want to belong
seeking brotherly love,
but are frantic at best.

[well, that was quite enjoyable. Maybe I'll keep trying.]
--

Surpassing four months of residency, I have been fortunate enough to spend hours strolling the streets of Philadelphia (maybe a wanderer). My city walks often consist of peering aimlessly at the architecture and street art. I enjoy examining the different landscapes that fill the world we live in. It often strikes me as uncanny to be immersed in a bustling, urban space. Durable, manufactured structures climb into the sky and line these paved streets, welcoming those in who have found their way.  Industrialized and expanding, this historic city has been booming since the 17th century. Strangers and locals alike admire the creation by man, especially the intricacies of City Hall's faces.

But as the 3,200-year-old giant sequoia stands erect at 247 feet, by the name of  ("Ms," if you will) President, we are reminded of the organic beauty and strength of the natural world. It stands fierce at 247 feet. Well, I guess City Hall is a dashingly tall 548 feet, but hey, it was not erect until 1901! I am humbled by both, and I see (for there is) beauty in all things. These two contrasting structures highlight the diversity that exists in the 21st century. However, with every tree chopped and building implanted, a species struggles. As our specie has dominated the food chain, all "sub-human" creatures are in hopeless disarray. This is not to say there is not greatness that lies in the city buildings, for the innovation and creation is exponentially blossoming from the gyri and sulci of the cognitive brains. Beyond human creation, human connection is incredibly worthwhile and stimulating. Whether in be in the natural world, breathing in the dense forest dew or climbing stories high in an elevator peering down, you can share this experience.

I am happy to be here in Philly, observing a new habitat of city-goers and thriving on human connection.

Last note:
"This land is your land, this land is my land..." is slightly deceiving because it explicitly states the land was made for you and me, but it fails to mention all the beings that existed before we evolved. We are such a small slice!
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bay

Unconventional Schedules

Birth Obsession